Apr 15, 2009

Mere Formality, Griffin Goes Pro



Sophomore standout Blake Griffin, who absolutely ran away with the national player of the year race, has decided to turn pro.

"This past week I have been going over in my mind what I should do," Griffin said.  "I sat down with Coach Capel and my family and I think it is time for me to move on and take my game to the next level." 

Griffin, who at times has looked other-worldly and was famously compared to the terminator by Texas Tech coach Pat Knight, averaged 22.7 points and 14.4 rebounds a game this year.

"It was tough.  I love playing here, this is my home state," Griffin said.  "It is tough to walk away from something like this, but at the same time this is a big opportunity.  I felt like I was ready for it this year as opposed to last year."

As a freshman, Griffin shocked many by returning for his sophomore year, despite being named first team All-Big 12 and averaging 14.7 points and 9.1 rebounds per game.

"This is the right decision.  In my mind, it was a no-brainer," said head coach Jeff Capel. "It wasn't a decision to really debate because it is the right one.  It is the best thing for Blake, it is the best thing for the University of Oklahoma and the best thing for our program."

Capel also was not shy to heap praise on Griffin.

"He is the best player I have ever been around and coached, and he is probably one of the top two people I have ever been around and coached," Capel said.  "That is why I know he is going to be incredibly successful."

Many speculate that Griffin will be the top pick in this year's draft, which is scheduled for June 25 at Madison Square Garden.

"It is a great day -- a really, really great day -- when you have a chance to know that a kid has worked his butt off in something that he has wanted to do his whole life and he is going to have a chance to pursue it," Capel said.  "And not only pursue it, but to be very successful."



No comments:

Post a Comment